Thursday 22 August 2013

Out of the pit they come...

Any ideas what this might be?


That's right, Iain McCaig has sent through his rough sketches of the images he's producing of the Bloodbeast and Zanbar Bone the Night Prince for YOU ARE THE HERO.

Iain has stayed quite close to the original designs but, as he points out, they are very retro and not at all how he would go about designing either of the characters today. He has expressed an interest in giving them a complete overhaul, and I'd be interested in hearing your views on the subject.

Remember, this is the man who, since illustrating City of Thieves and Deathtrap Dungeon, has gone on to design Darth Maul, one of the most memorable characters in modern movies, and is currently working on Start Wars Episode 7. And he's offered to give a couple of Fighting Fantasy icons a fresh lick of paint for the new millennium!

(I know, I can't quite believe it either.)

Please let me know what you think by commenting on this post, or via the YOU ARE THE HERO Facebook page, but do bear in mind the final decision will be mine and mine alone. I know which way I'm leaning at the moment, but I'd be interested to hear what you'd like to see too.

2 comments:

  1. I always imagined Zandar Bone with Ghost Rider's head...a wizard with the head of a flaming skull..and the Bloodbeast a Jaba the Hutt type thing with teeth and a more tentacled cthulhoid look bathed in slimy red (blood?). Whatever he does or whatever you choose it will be great. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd go with the retro. Their look is the way he DID design them back then.

    ReplyDelete